BOSTON – Playing in Terrier Town for the first time since September 4, the Boston University women’s soccer team welcomes the Navy to the Patriot League premiere on Saturday (September 24). The opening kick is scheduled for 13:00
BU returns to Boston after a four-game comeback that featured wins against UMass and league opponent Lafayette. As of the 2020-21 campaign, the Terriers are 4-1-1 in their last six regular season home games against PL opponents.
The Navy is on the road for the first time since September 8, and has played to a 1-1-1 record outside Annapolis, Maryland.
- BU closed the stretch with a 1-0 loss to Colgate on September 21.
- goalkeepers Celia Braun and Gretchen Bennett each made a save, but the Raiders scored in the 59th minute to seal the result.
- The Terriers are in the top five in the Patriot League in goals per game (fifth – 1.1), assists (fourth – nine), shots per game (fourth – 11.4) and total shots on goal (third – 50) .
- BU continues to accelerate the league with 7.3 corners per game, which is now the 15th highest mark in Division I.
- Since the duo debuted in high school at the start of the 2021 season, Bennett and Braun have played the same game in 25 games.
- In those contests, they combined an average of 1.73 goals against and a percentage of defenses of 0.702.
- After being eliminated on their home debut in 2022, BU scored five goals in their last three games at Nickerson Field.
- Of those five goals, junior Abigail McNulty played a role in the last three, recording one goal and two assists.
- McNulty’s four points at home this season lead the Terriers, followed by two each for the senior redshirt. Amy ThompsonSenior Sophia Woodlandsecond year Morgan Faganand freshman Giulianna Gianino.
- The Navy is 4-3-3 on the year and 1-1 on the conference.
- The Mids defeated defending champion Bucknell 4-0 in their PL lidlifter, then dropped to Loyola Maryland 1-0 on September 21.
- The Navy received four of the Patriot League’s five weekly awards this week, including Amanda Graziano (offensive player), Jenna Daunt (midfielder), Mattie Gallagher (goalkeeper) and Heaven Marlee (rookie).
- Graziano leads the middleweights with five assists and seven points this year, followed by Tori Liesen with five points. Playing the most minutes on goal, Gallagher averages 0.67 goals against and 0.878 percentage saves.
- Navy was the preseason favorite in the 2022 Patriot League preseason poll, garnering seven first-place votes and 145 points.
- Last year, the Mids went 6-2-1 in league action and 11-6-3 overall, taking second place in the Patriot League Tournament and reaching the semifinal round.
- Saturday marks the 12th all-time meeting between BU and Navy in a series that began when the Terriers joined the Patriot League in 2013.
- BU boasts an 8-3 lead in the rivalry. Both sides have traded wins and losses in the last four matches, however.
- The Terriers are 3-0 at home against the Mids. Saturday will be the first game between the teams at Nickerson Field since 2018.
- In the last clash, on September 25, 2021, BU emerged victorious in Annapolis by 3-1.
- McNulty had three points, while Thompson and Jenna Oldham also found the bottom of the net. Bennett and Braun combined five saves.
- BU welcomes Lehigh to Terrier Town on Saturday (October 1) for an opening kick-off at 1pm. The game serves as Alumni Day and will recognize former BU coach Nancy Feldman’s 27 years of dedication to the program.