Have you decided on your plans for New Year’s Eve? If not, here’s a thought.
Fans can spend at least part of this Saturday at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames, where the men’s basketball team opens the Big 12 Conference season against Baylor. The game’s start time is yet to be determined, according to the schedule revealed Friday by the Big 12.
The final Big 12 season before Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and UCF join includes an ambitious January during which the Cyclones will play five games away from home – in Oklahoma on January 4, at TCU on January 7, in Kansas on January 14. January, at Oklahoma State on January 21 and at Texas Tech on January 30.
Kansas arrives at the Hilton Coliseum on February 4th. And for fans eager to see one of the best Cyclone players from last season, conference rookie of the year Tyrese Hunter, he’ll be in town when Texas plays in Ames on January 17th.
Coach TJ Otzelberger’s notable job last season included inheriting a program that had lost 22 games the previous season under Steve Prohm. He turned that into a 22-game winner and a participant in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.
Hines:TJ Otzelberger Building Iowa State’s Future Squad Along Fred Hoiberg’s Teams
Among the players who left last season’s squad are Hunter, top scorer Izaiah Brockington and post-player George Conditt.
Returnees include Gabe Kalscheur, Caleb Grill, Jaz Kunc and Robert Jones.
The Iowa State season kicks off at home on November 7th against IUPUI.
Iowa State Calendar 2022-23
- November 7th: vs. IUPUI
- November 13: vs. North Carolina A&T
- November 20th: against milwaukee
- November 24-25, 27: Phil Knight Invitation
- 30th of November: vs. North Dakota
- December 4th: vs. St. John’s (Big 12-Big East Battle)
- December 8th: in Iowa
- December 11th: vs. McNeese State
- December 18: against western Michigan
- December 21: against Omaha
- December 31th: Baylor, time to be determined, ESPN2/ESPNU/Big 12 Now
- January 4th: in Oklahoma, 6pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
- January 7th: at TCU, 1pm, ESPNU
- January, 10: Texas Tech, 7pm Big 12 Now
- January 14th: in Kansas, 3pm, Big 12 Now
- January 17th: Texas, 7pm, Big 12 Now
- January 21th: in the state of Oklahoma, 1 pm, Big 12 Now
- January 24th: Kansas State, 8pm, ESPNU
- January 28: in Missouri (Big 12/SEC Challenge)
- January 30: at Texas Tech, 8pm, ESPN/ESPN2
- February 4th: Kansas, 11am, ESPN/ESPN2
- February 8: in West Virginia, 6pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
- February 11: Oklahoma State, 5pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
- February 15th: TCU, 8pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
- February 18th: at Kansas State, 5pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
- February 21st: in Texas, 8pm, Longhorn Network
- February 25th: Oklahoma, 11am, ESPN2/ESPNU
- February 27: West Virginia, 8pm, ESPN/ESPN2
- March 4th: in Baylor, 11am/1pm, ESPN/ESPN2
Iowa State columnist Randy Peterson embarked on his 50th year writing sports for the Des Moines Register in December 2021. Contact him at email@example.com, 515-284-8132, and on Twitter at @RandyPete.