Russian Liudmila Samsonova reached the round of 16 of the Tokyo Open by defeating China’s Xinyu Wang 7-6 (5), 6-3 at Ariake Coliseum and Ariake Tennis Forest Park on Thursday night.
Samsonova, ranked 30th, will face Spaniard Garbine Muguruza, the third seed, then.
The Russian beat Kazakh Elena Rybakina, seed #8 (6-2, 6-4) in the previous round of the Toray Pan Pacific Open Tennis Tournament.
In the previous round of the Toray Pan Pacific Open Tennis Tournament, Wang, ranked 78th, defeated Australian Ellen Perez (7-5, 1-6, 6-4).
Tokyo WTA 500, other second round results (Ariake Coliseum and Ariake Tennis Forest Park, hard, USD 757,900, most recent results first):
- Naomi Osaka vs Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Veronika Kudermetova vs Fernanda Contreras Gomez
- Petra Martic defeated Karolina Pliskova (6): 6-3, 6-4
- Claire Liu beat Elise Mertens: 6-4, 6-1
- Qinwen Zheng beat Paula Badosa (1): 6-3, 6-2
- Shuai Zhang defeated Caroline Garcia (2): 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (5)
- Garbine Muguruza defeated Despina Papamichail (Q): 6-4, 6-2