Novak Djokovic withdrew from the upcoming hard court tournament in Montreal on Thursday because he has not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and is therefore not allowed to enter Canada.
For the same reason, as things stand, he will also not be able to compete in the US Open later this month.
Djokovic, a 35-year-old from Serbia, has said he won’t get the chance, even if it means he won’t be able to go to certain tournaments. He missed the Australian Open in January after being deported from that country and had to serve out two events in the United States earlier this year.
He did play at the French Open, where he lost to Rafael Nadal in the quarterfinals, and at Wimbledon, which Djokovic won last month for his 21st Grand Slam title — one behind Nadal’s men’s record.
Unvaccinated foreign citizens cannot enter Canada or the US, so Djokovic withdrew from Montreal a day before the draw for the tournament was scheduled to take place. August 29.
Last weekend, Djokovic posted on social media that he had hopes of getting the chance to play in the US Open, writing: “I’m preparing to participate, while I wait to hear if there’s room for me to to travel the US. Thumbs up!”
Researcher says Canada’s ‘largest documented hailstone’ fell in Alberta on Monday
Disney World guests are stuck in ‘It’s a Small World’ ride for over an hour
The World’s Top Tennis Players Return to Montreal in August for National Bank Open
After beating Nick Kyrgios in the Wimbledon final on July 10, Djokovic said he “would like” to compete in the final Grand Slam tournament of the year at Flushing Meadows, but also acknowledged: “I have no intention of to get me vaccinated.”
Djokovic is a three-time US Open champion. His loss to Daniil Medvedev in last year’s final prevented Djokovic from becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win a Grand Slam for a calendar year.
Oscar Otte also withdrew from Montreal on Thursday; Kyrgios and Benjamin Bonzi entered the bracket.
Four wild card berths went to three-time major champion Andy Murray, David Goffin, Vasek Pospisil and Alexis Galarneau.
Nadal, who withdrew from Wimbledon for the semifinals due to a torn abdominal muscle, is still on the program in Montreal.
Tennis stars return to Montreal for National Bank Open
© 2022 The Canadian Press