(Reuters) – Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from next week’s US Open tuning event in Canada because he cannot enter the country without being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, tournament organizers said Thursday.
Djokovic has refused to take the vaccine but was still on the entry list for the ATP 1000 hard court event in Montreal when it was released in mid-July.
To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveler to Canada, a person must have received their second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before entering Canada.
Along with world number six Djokovic, Tennis Canada said Germany’s Oscar Otte also withdrew and Australian Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios and Frenchman Benjamin Bonzi had entered the main draw.
Djokovic, who remains on the entry list for Aug. 29-Sept. 11 US Open in New York, has previously said he was willing to miss Grand Slam tournaments rather than take the COVID-19 vaccine.
The Serb was unable to defend his Australian Open crown this year after being expelled from the country in January due to his vaccination status.
(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto, editing by Pritha Sarkar)