Emma Raducanu, the 19-year-old Briton who won the US Open as a qualifier last year, kicked off her US summer swing with a morale-boosting straight sets victory over US qualifier Louisa Chirico at Tuesday night’s Citi Open.
Second seeded this week, Raducanu defeated Chirico 6-4, 6-2 in one hour and 27 minutes.
The Brit saved two of the three breakpoints on her serve and cashed in 4 of the 10 breakpoint chances she earned on Chirico’s serve.
As number 10 in the world, the Briton will meet Colombian Camila Osorio in the second round in the next round. Osorio defeated former Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin 7-6, 6-1.
San Jose WTA 500, First Round Matches (San Jose State University Tennis Center, Hard, USD 757,900):
- Shelby Rogers beats Bianca Andreescu: 6-4, 6-2
- Veronika Kudermetova (9) defeated Camila Giorgi: 7-6 (2), 4-6, 7-5
- Caroline Dolehide (LL) defeated Kayla Day (Q): 7-6(5), 6-4
- Elizabeth Mandlik (Q) defeated Alison Riske-Amritraj: 6-3, 6-3
- Daria Kasatkina (7) defeated Elena Rybakina: 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Madison Keys defeated Shuai Zhang: 6-4, 6-2
- Taylor Townsend (Q) defeated Storm Sanders (Q): 6-1, 6-4
- Karolina Pliskova (8) defeated Katie Boulter (WC): 1-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Amanda Anisimova knocks Ashlyn Krueger (WC): 6-2, 7-6 (5)
- Beatriz Haddad Maia vs. Claire Liu
- Coco Gauff vs. Anhelina Kalinina